[Python-Dev] Product iteration

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:33:46 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Since this is still an improvement over current practice (where a
> finalizer hanging off a cycle may never be called) and there are no
> serialization issues, I don't see the problem.

Today inner functions don't create cycles involving local variables.
Lexical scoping would change that.

> If you want to use weak references, please try to specify *in detail*
> which objects would have weak references to which other objects and
> how the system would resolve these...  I'm never sure that things can
> be made 100% safe using this technique, so it may help to spell it out
> for me!

OK, how's that: inner functions have weak reference to variables in the
same scope

def f():
	x = 1
	def g():
		pass

g would have only a weak reference to "x".

I'm changing "no reference" to "weak reference", so I'm not incrementing
effective reference counting.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.