[Python-Dev] guidelines for contributing to Python

Daniel Berlin dan@cgsoftware.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:26:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Peter Schneider-Kamp wrote:

> Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> >
> > If you fix a bug, you SHOULD write a test case that would have caught
> > the bug.
>
> Two questions:
> - Where should a test for a bug in Python/compile.c go?
> - Do we really need to carry around a test for (almost) every bug?

Yes.
It's the only way to make sure it doesn't happen again.
GCC has about 6000 regression tests currently, fer instance.
Each came about as part of a bug reported (usually what happens is someone
takes the preprocessed source sent in with the bug report, and distills it
down to about 100-1024 bytes worth of code that demonstrate the bug.).

--Dan