[Python-Dev] Python Consortium Meeting News

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:09:35 -0400

Guido van Rossum <guido@beopen.com>:
> > Guido van Rossum <guido@beopen.com>:
> > > I plan to release 2.0 pretty soon after 2.0!
>
> ESR
> > Hm.  I take it, then, that your time machine is back from the shop?
>
> Argh.  You know that I meant "after 1.6".

Yes.  But the joke was not resistible.

>                                            Here's my current timeline
> (I'll post this on the web when we have access):
>
> - 1.6beta1 out around August 1
> - 1.6final around August 15
> - 2.0beta1 around August 30
> - various betas
> - 2.0final around September 30

A timetable.  Excellent.  Now I know when I have to get my stuff done
(curses docs, enhanced Berkeley DB support).

> Obviously not every PEP will be included in 2.0.  I plan on including
> these: zip(); list comprehensions; augmented assignments; range
> literals.  Also whatever's in pep-0200.

All this makes me happy, except that I'm a touch dubious about
list comprehensions now.  Still like the idea, still think the syntax
ought to be clearer somehow.
--

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives
[only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise,