[Python-Dev] Python Consortium Meeting News

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:54:38 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Here's my current timeline
> (I'll post this on the web when we have access):
>
> - 1.6beta1 out around August 1
> - 1.6final around August 15
> - 2.0beta1 around August 30
> - various betas
> - 2.0final around September 30
>
> Obviously not every PEP will be included in 2.0.  I plan on including
> these: zip(); list comprehensions; augmented assignments; range
> literals.  Also whatever's in pep-0200.

How about adding XML support as the "Big New Feature" to 2.0
instead of 1.6 (if I remember correctly, XML was added after
the BeOpen move, right) ?

Not that I have anything against XML going into 1.6, but
this would make the new version number a little more
understandable.

BTW, how rock solid is Python's builtin XML support ? I'm asking
because I want to make our product XML aware and the various
different parser implementations out there gave me a rather
unsecure feeling about which one to go after...

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg