[Python-Dev] Python Consortium Meeting News

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:45:30 -0500

> Hmm, why shouldn't it be possible to use the current
> version of Unicode support in 1.6 ? AFAIK, most of the patching
> was done by Fredrik and myself and we were not related to
> CNRI or BeOpen in any way at the time of the move to BeOpen.

I would expect that untangling the patches from the ANSIfication would
be too much work.  I'm not too interested in doing that.

> Wouldn't it suffice for Fredrik and me to send in a wet-sign
> for the Unicode patches since that date ?

I suppose so (but I can't speak for CNRI any more).

One possibility, if there are people interested in helping out with
1.6, would be to create a branch on SF.  But since this needs to be a
branch relative to an old version, I'm not sure exactly how to do
that.  (The problem with checking out by date is that CVS gives you
all the *deleted* files back, even if they were deleted at the
selected date.  Sigh.)

Regarding incompatibilities between 1.6 and 2.0: we can simply mark
the Unicode support in 1.6 as experimental, and announce that relying
on the default conversion beyond ASCII in 1.6 causes forward
compatibility problems.

I plan to release 2.0 pretty soon after 2.0!

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)