[Python-Dev] map() for methods

Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:12:17 -0500 (CDT)

A couple people have responded to my comment about deprecating the string
without deprecating map().  Most recently, Tim stated:

    >> As far as I'm aware, there's no clean way to do that with string
    >> methods.

    Tim> Sorry if someone pointed this out already (2K+ msgs backed up!):

    Tim>     newlist = [s.strip() for s in oldlist]

I realized that list comprehensions were possible, but they aren't yet in
the language, so I didn't think them a fair substitute for

    map(string.strip, oldlist)

If you get list comprehensions in there in some guise, then sure, deprecate
away...

Skip