[Python-Dev] Where to put the PEPs? (was: Re: Python-dev summary: July 1-15)

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:17:57 -0400 (EDT)

    TW> And that's perfectly sensible. I'm not a crypto-junkie in any
    TW> way, but using ssh with non-passphrase-protected is dangerous
    TW> stuff. We do use it, at XS4ALL, actually, for scripts to
    TW> execute commands on remote machines, but we do it with
    TW> seperate keysets, and restricted per host.

Right, that's the way to do it.  Remember that you can have multiple
keypairs associated with your shell account, so if you /really/ wanted
to do this (and I don't suggest it), then generate a new keypair,
leave the new private key unpassphrase protected, and upload the new
keypair to SF.  Use this keypair only for SF so if it's cracked your
exposure is minimized.

As paranoid as I am, I usually generate new keypairs when I travel
with my ssh client.  I use that keypair only for that trip and discard
it when I get back.

-Barry