[Python-Dev] Patches

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:07:58 -0500 (CDT)

    Moshe> In fact, putting an implementation of pad() like that in the
    Moshe> string.py module would be wonderful, because it would work with
    Moshe> both regular strings and unicode. However, string.py is looking
    Moshe> as though as it's going to be deprecated. In short, I'd want
    Moshe> Guido/Tim/effbot/MAL opinions here before we make a move.

Don't know about the powers that be, but I don't see how you can
realistically deprecate string.py until you deprecate map().  My most
frequent use of map() is the simple

    newlist = map(string.strip, oldlist)

where oldlist is a list of strings.  (Replace "strip" by "upper", "lower",
etc, depending on your needs.)

As far as I'm aware, there's no clean way to do that with string methods.

Skip