[Python-Dev] urllib and doc: (was: CVS: python/dist/src/Lib onlinehelp.py,NONE,1.1)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:04:10 -0700

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 03:58:22PM -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
> How about this: if I taught urllib (or something) to translate doc: URLs
> into real URLs then you could do something like:
>
> browser.browse( "doc:lib/lambda" )
>
> Maybe that would help...more thought needed.

urllib should NOT try to parse a "doc:" scheme. Any scheme in urllib should
ONLY be IANA-registered schemes, and the resulting URL should follow the
appropriate RFCs.

If doc: is ever registered, then go ahead and teach it to urllib. Until
then, I'll scream and shout and be very annoying :-)

Big -1 on this from me.

Cheers,
-g

--