[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib onlinehelp.py,NONE,1.1

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:58:22 -0500

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> [New onlinehelp module]
>
> Great work !
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to hook the new [whatever it is called
> now... browser.py] into the module as standard way of displaying
> the help text provided PYTHONHELPBROWSER is set to one of
> the supported browsers ?

Not for me. I would prefer to see the raw text rather than having a new
window pop up. I would be happy to provide a mode that does this but I
would rather it wasn't the default.

Also, some of the text is docstrings. Presumably I wouldn't launch a
browser for those, so the interface becomes somewhat inconsistent.

How about this: if I taught urllib (or something) to translate doc: URLs
into real URLs then you could do something like:

browser.browse( "doc:lib/lambda" )

Maybe that would help...more thought needed.

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html