[Python-Dev] Re: [Fwd: Discussion: Introducing new operators formatrix computation]

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 12:11:53 +0200

> On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>=20
> > > The only real danger is=20
> > >=20
> > > 3. + a
> > > 3 .+ a
> > >=20
> > > But in this case pointwise operation does not make sense.=20
> >=20
> > really?  what if "a" is a froob?
>=20
> Really.  Because 3 is a single point. It doesn't matter what a is.

you're inventing an entirely new language here.

> >     >>> print 3.+a()
> >     SyntaxError: sorry, that doesn't make sense.  try inserting a =
space.
>=20
> Why isn't this 3. + a()?

yeah, why?  the answer is in the python documentation.

> Hmm, I can see my bad habit of writing long posts so that they are =
often
> quoted only partially.  Here's the missing half:

sure, I read the missing half.  doesn't change a thing.

please move further discussion to comp.lang.python.  this
discussion doesn't belong on python-dev.

</F>