[Python-Dev] Re: [Fwd: Discussion: Introducing new operators formatrix computation]

Huaiyu Zhu huaiyu_zhu@yahoo.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 02:54:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> > The only real danger is
> >
> > 3. + a
> > 3 .+ a
> >
> > But in this case pointwise operation does not make sense.
>
> really?  what if "a" is a froob?

Really.  Because 3 is a single point. It doesn't matter what a is.

>     >>> print 3.+a()
>     SyntaxError: sorry, that doesn't make sense.  try inserting a space.

Why isn't this 3. + a()?

Hmm, I can see my bad habit of writing long posts so that they are often
quoted only partially.  Here's the missing half:

So I suppose the following rules would resolve all the ambiguities:

Dot binds with preceding number.  Otherwise it binds with following
operator. Otherwise it is a member indicator.  Otherwise it is syntax error.

Examples:

2.+b
a.+b    <-- only this is new
a.b