[Python-Dev] Request for Opinions

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:57:26 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I have no idea what 4XPath is.  Assuming it is a separately maintained
> and distributed 3rd party library, the answer is no for the source
> distribution and yes for binary distributions.

4XPath is currently separately maintained. If it became part of the
Python source, I would expect that to become the canonical version. The
issue here isn't third party libraries its quantity of source and the
fact that it is a mix of Bison/FLEX/C/Python. If it were six hundred
lines of pure Python I think we would have checked it in already!

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html