[Python-Dev] Request for Opinions

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:06:44 -0400

[Paul Prescod]
> I don't want to PEP this, I want to discuss it. In fact, I think we are
> supposed to discuss it four more times before I PEP it. And Tim has to
> participate in each discussion, right?

No to the latter.  I read everything.  That's why I never have time to
respond anymore <0.5 wink>.

Discussions are great!  Just be aware that if the discussion doesn't flow
directly to a patch that's applied to the distribution, and you're still
keen on the idea, without a PEP it will be *worse* for you than if the
discussion had never occurred.  That's because the people who *did* read the
discussion the first time around are exponentially less likely to say
anything (or even pay attention!) on each of the next 500 times the topic
pops up again.

So if this discussion doesn't reach a conclusion you like, PEP it or you may
as well forget it forever (well, maybe not that long -- augmented
assignments appear to be getting in after a mere 9 years of thrice-yearly
strident from-scratch endlessly redundant advocacy <wink>).