[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:23:15 -0400

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 10:03:58AM -0400, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>the list short.  The crucial modules are going to be different for
>every person.  You mentioned PIL as one of your first four extensions.

That's why I think this is a mug's game; people have wildly differing
needs, and you can't meet them all.  <broken-record>The correct fix is
to make it easy to automatically download & install packages
automatically; distributions then become simple lists.  "You want to
do Web development?  Grab Cookie.py, wizard.py, DocumentTemplate, ..."
"Numeric work?  NumPy, PhysicalValue, Snow, ..."</broken-record>

--amk