[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:20:11 +0300 (IDT)

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   MZ> I really want something with "everything" in it.
>
> Then your list is much too short.  Everything is a lot.

"Everything" is different from everything. <"wink">

> You also need OpenSSL, NumPy, PyXML, and kjBuckets.  And that's just
> getting started.

I want to aim for "top 10 packages". And anyway, having distutils should
make this a snap -- the only thing we have to do is match versions.

> My worry about the list of things to include is where exactly to cut
> the list short.  The crucial modules are going to be different for
> every person.  You mentioned PIL as one of your first four extensions.
> I've used PIL exactly once, and then only as a brief experiment.  When
> I took a poll on c.l.py about the RADIUS authentication module, I got
> one response saying it was vitally important and everyone needs it.
> (I think that respondents definition of everyone was "everyone who
> operates an ISP or campus network.")  So add radius to your list.

My list is of course tentative, but once my PEP hits the CVS archive,
I intend to poll c.l.py for opinions on what packages to include. I've
seen quite a few questions in c.l.py over PIL, and only one about RADIUS,
but that's just anecdotal evidence.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no GOD but Python, and HTTP is its prophet.