[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:18:31 +0300 (IDT)

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Guido van Rossum <guido@beopen.com>:
> > I just want to make it crystal clear that I'm *against* (that's a
> > -999, only overridable by a bus) inclusion of 3rd party library source
> > code in the Python source distribution.  Exceptions can only be made
> > if the particular 3rd party code needs to be modified before it is
> > usable from Python (e.g. some checksum algorithms, and PCRE) or if
> > there is no reasonably accessible distribution available on the web.
>
> OK, I'm confused now.
>
> Moshe, are we talking about including 3rd-party code, or simply
> changing the build process so that RPMs and Debian packages have some
> additional requires and possibly include some unmodified binary
> libraries from third parties?

Neither. Let me explain: I *don't* care about RPM and Debian packages, nor
about windows installers. Those who create such packages have time on
their hands, and usually a pretty good Python and C knowledge. What I do
care about, is that when building a complete Python interpreter from
source on a UNIX system, one has the option of downloading the sumo
package, type "./configure;make;make install", drink a cup of coffee, and
have a Python installation which does what he needs.

Take me, for example. I've decided to write a GUI in Python, and I need to
-- download Tcl 8.0 (because that's what Python 1.5.2 works with), and
   compile it
-- download Tk 8.0 and compile it
-- Edit the Modules/Setup file to point to my Tcl/Tk installation
-- Compile Python

Now, if I find out later (as I have) that PIL would make my life easier,
I need to download PIL, edit *it* so it builds against my Tcl/Tk, and
install it. (Eventually, I decided to go without PIL because I don't have
the time)

Then I want to prototype some XML manipulation in Python. So I have to
find out where expat lives, compile it, and only then I can get PyExpat
to work.

Now, if I were using Debian, I'd simply spend some quality time with
apt-get and get over this. But I'm using Solaris, and later I might need
to port to AIX. So I'm using source distributions, and it is simply
painful.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no GOD but Python, and HTTP is its prophet.