[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:39:31 -0400

Guido van Rossum <guido@beopen.com>:
> I just want to make it crystal clear that I'm *against* (that's a
> -999, only overridable by a bus) inclusion of 3rd party library source
> code in the Python source distribution.  Exceptions can only be made
> if the particular 3rd party code needs to be modified before it is
> usable from Python (e.g. some checksum algorithms, and PCRE) or if
> there is no reasonably accessible distribution available on the web.

OK, I'm confused now.

Moshe, are we talking about including 3rd-party code, or simply
changing the build process so that RPMs and Debian packages have some
additional requires and possibly include some unmodified binary
libraries from third parties?
--

	-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.