[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:32:20 -0400

Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>:
> I'm currently drawing a list for extensions to include:
>
>  -- zlib
>  -- Tcl/Tk
>  -- expat
>  -- PIL
>  -- Anything else?
>
> I really want something with "everything" in it.
>
> My motivation: I work on quite a few Unixes at work (AIX, Solaris, HP and
> probably more to come). Installing Python on any of these is a pain --
> exactly because of the need to download 5-6 packages, and install them
> iteratively.

I'm with Moshe on this one -- and I'll go further: I think the `rich'
distribution ought to be the default mode, and would be willing to take
on substantial work to help it happen.

I agree with his choice of initial modules, too, and would certainly
add ncurses, and would be sorely tempted to add libpng.

Moshe's desire is a logical consequence of the "batteries are
included" philosophy which is one of Python's central strengths.  A
good language *ought* to guarantee all its developers and users
fuss-free access to a rich kit of state-of-the-art open source tools
and libraries.  If this means taking on the complexities of tracking
several auxiliary libraries and making sure there is a consistent
Python API to them as they evolve, so be it.

That's our job, gentlemen.
--

	-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.