[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 01:03:54 +0300 (IDT)

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> I don't see the need to include the source code from other projects or
> libraries in a regular Python release.  Rather, I'd like to see
> something like the Windows installer, which packages up third-party
> software like Tcl/Tk.

But I'm exactly concerned with minority platforms here: people who have
packagers can manage without our help. Are you going to make an installer
for Solaris? AIX? Then at least help these people build Python from
source -- with "known compatible versions". I *don't* think it should be
done for beta versions, only as an alternative release -- a "rich source
release". (If I have some time, I might try to build something like that
for 2.0 final, at any rate.)

I'm currently drawing a list for extensions to include:

 -- zlib
 -- Tcl/Tk
 -- expat
 -- PIL
 -- Anything else?

I really want something with "everything" in it.

My motivation: I work on quite a few Unixes at work (AIX, Solaris, HP and
probably more to come). Installing Python on any of these is a pain --
exactly because of the need to download 5-6 packages, and install them
iteratively.
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no GOD but Python, and HTTP is its prophet.