[Python-Dev] co_lnotab and SET_LINENO

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:03:14 +0200 (CEST)

Vladimir Marangozov wrote:

> Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> >
> > Now that we have co_lnotab, why do we still generate
> > SET_LINENO opcodes?
>
> It has been discussed before. To summarize:
>
> - because these opcodes generate the callbacks from C to Python
> - the debugger relies on them
> - I haven't had the time to look seriously at the debugger and
>   make it work without them. (this relates with breakpoints setting
>   which requires generating callbacks for every source line)
>
> And this is where we are. If you're volunteering to look into this,
> I'll spend some time summarizing the pointers about this thread +
> the existing code in the area. Otherwise, I won't bother <wink>

OK, if someone wants to play with this, see:

http://starship.python.net/~vlad/lineno/  for (working at the time) patches

Discussions on python-dev:

- http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-April/subject.html
    Subject: "Why do we need Traceback Objects?"
- http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/1999-August/002252.html

I'd be happy to discuss the topic again, offline, with any volunteer(s)
willing to take over (and to look closely at the debugger issue --
I don't use the debugger and I can't make the time for it).

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr