[Python-Dev] list comprehensions again...

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:15:14 -0700

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 05:48:35AM -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 04:25:33AM -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
> > > If you want to confuse a newbie, I'll claim that the "map" version will
> > > do it more than the list comp. version.
> >
> > Just because map() might confuse people doesn't mean it is now okay to
> > introduce *more* confusion.
>
> But the map version is a very common convention! If we can make a common
> convention more readable, that's a net win.

Agreed, to a point.

The counter-point is: "let's introduce syntax to make FOO more readable.
great. now lets introduce syntax to make BAR more readable. sweet. how about
BAZ?"

There are a lot of common idioms in Python. How many do you want to add
*syntax* for?

Cheers,
-g

--