[Python-Dev] list comprehensions again...

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:53:29 -0700

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:11:58PM -0700, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> Does this make sense or seem confusing to you?
>
> If it's too confusing, we can choose (a) and require that the first
> part of a list comprehension has to be a single test.

If it is too confusing, then drop the darn feature.

We're adding syntax that is sure to make Python programs a lot less readable
when they are used. People will always say "now, what exactly does that do?"

Adding new, complex features does not equate with positive forward progress.
This whole notion of list comprehensions seems rather dubious, especially
given the wildly varying ideas of what the different syntaxes mean. Sure,
maybe we can decide on what it *should* mean, but people will continue to be
confused by what they *think* it would mean.

Drop the dumb thing altogether. What's the motivation?

Bleh. -1

Cheers,
-g

--