[Python-Dev] Demo/embed causes 'import site' failure

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:48:15 -0500

> We're using includes in the Apache 2.0 makefiles. I'm not sure whether this
> is going to make Apache 2.0 less portable or not. There haven't been any
> issues yet, though.
>
> (I think the makefile organization came from PHP; assuming that is as
>  portable as Apache 1.3, then makefile includes are pretty darn portable)
>
> IMO, I say "start using makefile includes" and see who screams. VPATH is not
> portable, though.

The difference is that Apache and PHP only need to be portable to
server-class machines.  Python also runs on (1) very ancient hardware;
(2) some Cray-class machines; (3) non-Unix hardware with enough Unix
emulation to be able to run the configure script (I believe the BeOS
port falls in this category, and of course cygwin).

Call me conservative,

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)