[Python-Dev] Demo/embed causes 'import site' failure

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:16:38 -0700

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 12:25:12PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I didn't bother to check, but does the embed Makefile include python's
> > Makefile* stuff from $prefix/config ? Does it contain -export-dynamic ? If
> > so, very pecurliar... ;-P
>
> Makefile includes are notoriously unportable, aren't they?  The
> embed/Makefile is a lame excuse for a Makefile -- it has XXX comments
> all over the place telling you to edit things to match the Python main
> Makefile... :-(  My fault -- feel free to fix!

We're using includes in the Apache 2.0 makefiles. I'm not sure whether this
is going to make Apache 2.0 less portable or not. There haven't been any
issues yet, though.

(I think the makefile organization came from PHP; assuming that is as
 portable as Apache 1.3, then makefile includes are pretty darn portable)

IMO, I say "start using makefile includes" and see who screams. VPATH is not
portable, though.

Cheers,
-g

--