[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib urllib.py,1.96,1.97

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:50:32 -0400

Guido van Rossum <guido@beopen.com>:
> I thought that you almost never have to set the CVSROOT variable once
> you've established your project work tree -- it's all stored in
> CVS/Root anyway.  I believe CVSROOT is only used when you do a "cvs
> checkout" and that doesn't happen very often...

It's also needed when you login for anonymous access.  Forgetool is
intended for people like me who need to manage access to multiple
SourceForge projects, some as a developer and some anonymously.  It
manages some local state about which projects you have developer
access to and uses that to set CVSROOT and CVS_RSH correctly.

Forgetool also supplies boilerplate for commands to copy files to the
project HTTP directory.

Things it will do soon:

1) Manage shared session keys so you don't have to type a password on
   each command.

2) Remote scripting of module releases.

The basic idea is to make forgetool a Swiss-army knife for SourceForge
developers who need to remote-script various common operations.  This
capability is not a big deal when you are active in one or two
projects -- but I run thirty-five (yes, that's 35) projects that are
waiting to move to SourceForge the day I can script the release
process.
--

Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods.
	-- H.L. Mencken