[Python-Dev] Py_PROTO elimination in Include/

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 13:01:23 -0400

[Tim]
> I just removed all other occurrences of Py_PROTO and Py_FPROTO
> in the source tree.

[Guido]
> Great work, Tim!

If I have demacrofied more than others, it is because I've stood on the
throat of Fred Drake <wink -- but it apparently takes just one busy beaver
to shame others into action>.

> There's one problem: several large patches that are waiting for us
> in the SF patch manager won't work any more because they reference
> context that you ripped out.

Revolution, eggs, break, sorry.

> I'm thinking of the augmented assignment and the list comprehensions
> patch, and I think Thomas Wouters' patch for [a:b:c] meaning
> range(a,b,c) is also broken now.
>
> I think your patch status guidelines suggest that these patches should
> be labeled out of date until the author uploads a new version...

Yes.

> BTW, the more delay 2.0 incurs because of the negotiations between
> CNRI and BeOpen, the more sense it makes to me to add those language
> features!  Last night I changed the status of the list comprehensions
> and augmented assignment patches to Open.

That makes sense to me, and not just because I've been keen on augmented
assignment since before Python 1.0, and keen on listcomps since they first
came up.  Perhaps the person assigned to these patches would care to keep
their statuses up to date?  Not naming any names here <wink>, but if patch
ownership means anything, it means owning the next step in the patch
process.

resisting-a-bad-precedent-ly y'rs  - tim