[Python-Dev] [Fwd: Re: Splitting c.l.py...]

Sun, 9 Jul 2000 10:12:44 -0400

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 12:01:36AM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:
>Agreed, though I think it should go the other way, too. And it isn't just
>about discussing new features or bugs; people, or at least involved people,
>like to see that there are actually people working on improving Python ;)

People *do* report problems, suggest new features, or provide bugfixes
on comp.lang.python, and it would be a pity to miss them; we just have
to encourage people to submit through the appropriate channels.

python-list is, I think, no longer a language hacking list, and that's
probably a good thing.  (Remember the person who once said they were
shy about posting to python-list because all the discussion was so
advanced?)  Note for 2.0 final: the docs should mention how to submit
patches, the existence of python-dev, etc.  I can write a Misc/HACKING
file.

I'm not sure how to prevent people from inadvertently duplicating
ongoing python-dev work, such as the recent case where someone
mentioned adding history support to the readline module, which Skip
was already doing.  A summary of python-dev/CVS activity might be
nice.

--amk