[Python-Dev] [Fwd: Re: Splitting c.l.py...]

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 00:01:36 +0200

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 05:42:11PM -0400, Gordon McMillan wrote:

> There are at least 3 and maybe 6 or more of us who still read
> c.l.py (though I've dropped back to newsgroup so I can skip
> the braindead threads). As a partial solution, perhaps we
> could use some self-discipline and sometimes say "kick it to
> c.l.py". I, for one, would be willing to _help_ (not "assume
> responsibility for"!) monitoring threads of this sort and
> summarizing back to the dev list.

Agreed, though I think it should go the other way, too. And it isn't just
about discussing new features or bugs; people, or at least involved people,
like to see that there are actually people working on improving Python ;)
Whether it's a new feature, a bugfix, a radical or a subtle change, whether
it leads to anything or not, they like to see Python isn't dead ;) The
deminishing number of 'core developers' posting in c.l.py was one of the
reasons I started reading the python-dev archives, anyway.

The problem with making python-dev more accessible is that it makes
python-dev more accessible, as well ;-P As Guido said, he hardly gets any
non-python-dev responses to python-dev postings, and that's pretty
understandable. The step from reading something in the web-based archives
and replying to them is pretty large. It isn't impossible (I've responded to
something I saw in the archives a few times, though not directly to Go--ehr,
Guido ;) but it definately helps lessen the responses.

Anyway, I try to keep up with python-list and python-dev both, so I'll help
with occasionally gatewaying things ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>