[Python-Dev] [Fwd: Re: Splitting c.l.py...]

Michael Hudson mwh21@cam.ac.uk
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 11:14:04 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Gordon McMillan wrote:

> [Guido]
> > I don't know what to do about this, but Neil H's point that we
> > might want to separate the operational issues from the deep
> > discussions makes some sense.  Maybe there's even room for three
> > lists: operational, current code and patches, and future
> > features.
> >
> > But in reality, the difference between the various lists isn't
> > the topic: it's the group of people.
>
> There are at least 3 and maybe 6 or more of us who still read
> c.l.py (though I've dropped back to newsgroup so I can skip
> the braindead threads). As a partial solution, perhaps we
> could use some self-discipline and sometimes say "kick it to
> c.l.py". I, for one, would be willing to _help_ (not "assume
> responsibility for"!) monitoring threads of this sort and
> summarizing back to the dev list.

I think this is a good idea.  I think it is important that
comp.lang.python continues to have *some* interesting content, and that
the impression is mantained that (reasonable) opinions expressed there are
listened to, so that bright & curious people who happen along stick around
and maybe move on to actually contributing to Python (yes, this is
somewhat autobiographical - two of my first three posts to c.l.py were
answered by Guido and David Ascher...).

> For ideas on which Guido is > -0, I think this might be a good
> way to guage reaction.

So do I, and I'd also be willing to help monitor c.l.py (though not right
now; due to a broken ethernet port, my access is a bit sporadic, and I'm
having trouble keeping up with python-dev).

Cheers,
M.