[Python-Dev] Collection of typedefs for integral types

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:28:47 +0200

Tim Peters wrote:

> [moved from patches to Python-Dev]
>
> >> Patch #100745 has been updated.
> >> Visit SourceForge.net for more info.
> >
> http://sourceforge.net/patch/?func=detailpatch&patch_id=100745&group_id=5470
>
> [Moshe]
> > -1: Since when have we stopped supporting machines without 4-byte integral
> > types? Or even non-standard 4 byte integral types? This looks extremely
> > dangerous.
>
> Indeed, Python *does* run on machines that don't have any 4-byte integral
> types -- or at least it used to <wink>.  It doesn't run on any without an
> integral type *at least* 32-bits wide, though.  Wouldn't the latter be good
> enough for this patch?  That is, what's the requirement here for *exactly*
> 32 bits?
>
> BTW, a sane collection of typedefs would be another good candidate for
> pyport.h.

Good idea.

The only problem with typedefs is that they tend to cause conflicts
when different definitions are encountered.
We'd have to use e.g. Py_UINT4, Py_UINT2, etc...

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg