[Python-Dev] Problems with the new unicodectype.c

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:50:47 -0400 (EDT)

Fredrik Lundh writes:
 > yeah, but people porting SRE to small platforms can switch off
 > inlining completely.  if I do that on windows, the resulting DLL
 > is less than 20k.

  So don't worry about the 100K for Linux/x86 unless you just want to
test that -fno-inline (or whatever) is passed from the Setup file to
the Makefile without makesetup barfing on it.  (Not unusual for less
common flags, but I think -f* is passed along.)

 > which is pretty okay, I think, if you consider that the DLL contains
 > two separate regular expression engines, a scanner framework, and
 > lots of other stuff...

  20K -- 40K I'm not worried about.  I'm less worried about the people
with *no* RAM, who will run into problems before they try to start
python, than about the guys with only a little RAM (say, 128MB ;).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member