[Python-Dev] oh, and any interest in my readline history stuff?

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 01:18:43 -0400

[Skip Montanaro]
> Does IDLE allow new lines to be inserted into multiline commands or
> is it restricted to editing the existing lines?

Insertion is easy.  In fact, it's sometimes surprising!  The deal is that
ENTER means two things in the IDLE shell:  it may mean "insert a new line",
or it may mean "I'm done with my edits, so run this block again".  Which
action IDLE performs depends on where the cursor is at the time ENTER is hit
(whether or not at the end of the copied block).

Lovely as the feature is, I think it gets in my way more often than not, as,
e.g., I'm very likely to copy a multiline for-loop down and change just the
limit on a range; then hitting ENTER doesn't do what I expect.

there's-nothing-about-a-ui-somebody-won't-hate-ly y'rs  - tim