[Python-Dev] list comprehensions again...

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:46:56 -0400 (EDT)

    JH> At lunch today, Guido raised almost the same question!  Tim
    JH> and I argued that we should continue the feature freeze, and
    JH> spend any extra time wasted while we wait for CNRI to quit
    JH> stalling to resolve open bugs and do more testing.  It's been
    JH> a long time since the last bug fix release, and there are
    JH> already a lot of new features.  We'd probably be best served
    JH> by working hard to make 2.0 stable and solid -- and then
    JH> getting 2.1 released quickly.

I'm really quite torn.  The more rational side of my brain agrees with
this position.  OTOH, it just doesn't make much sense to me to add
list comprehensions and augmented assignments (and a raft of other new
features) in a 2.1 release.  Seems like 2.0 is where all the new stuff
should go, with 2.x's as bug fix releases.

Think of all the new features added in 1.5.2 (a /micro/ release for
gawds' sake).  In retrospect, that was nutty.

ah-hell-let's-release-a-1.6-after-all-ly y'rs,
-Barry