[Python-Dev] Make _GNU_SOURCE default for gcc ?!

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 00:53:08 +0200

Greg Ward wrote:

> On 04 July 2000, Fredrik Lundh said:
> > > to Python.h. This enables all features available for the
> > > gcc compiler including _XOPEN_SOURCE and fixes warnings
> > > related to missing prototypes.
> > >
> > > Thoughts ? Would this hurt anybody ?
> >
> > what does "fixes warnings" mean?  does it change the compiler's
> > behaviour, or does it just make sure stuff are defined in the right
> > files?
>
> Just like MAL said, it fixes warnings from missing prototypes.  Eg. the
> <time.h> (I think) on Linux (glibc 2.x, at least) doesn't declare
> 'strptime()' unless __USE_XOPEN is true.  (__USE_XOPEN is defined if
> _XOPEN_SOURCE is defined, by <features.h>.)
>
> > +1 on _XOPEN_SOURCE
> > +0 on _GNU_SOURCE
>
> Agreed, unless someone can explain a) what _GNU_SOURCE adds that
> _XOPEN_SOURCE does not, and b) why that's necessary (if so).

It's already checked in, but since you asked: _GNU_SOURCE defines
one symbol which is essential on Linux to get at a
bunch of BSD/SysV API prototypes which _XOPEN_SOURCE doesn't
activate. Time support is one area where this is needed,
I found tmpnam_r() to be another one.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg