[Python-Dev] Make _GNU_SOURCE default for gcc ?!

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 18:45:48 -0400

On 04 July 2000, Fredrik Lundh said:
> > to Python.h. This enables all features available for the
> > gcc compiler including _XOPEN_SOURCE and fixes warnings
> > related to missing prototypes.
> >
> > Thoughts ? Would this hurt anybody ?
>
> what does "fixes warnings" mean?  does it change the compiler's
> behaviour, or does it just make sure stuff are defined in the right
> files?

Just like MAL said, it fixes warnings from missing prototypes.  Eg. the
<time.h> (I think) on Linux (glibc 2.x, at least) doesn't declare
'strptime()' unless __USE_XOPEN is true.  (__USE_XOPEN is defined if
_XOPEN_SOURCE is defined, by <features.h>.)

> +1 on _XOPEN_SOURCE
> +0 on _GNU_SOURCE

Agreed, unless someone can explain a) what _GNU_SOURCE adds that
_XOPEN_SOURCE does not, and b) why that's necessary (if so).

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org
MEMS Exchange / CNRI                           voice: +1-703-262-5376