[Python-Dev] re: punctuation / spelling

Greg Wilson gvwilson@nevex.com
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 07:10:33 -0400 (EDT)

The best on-line writing style guide I know of is the one used by the The
Economist:

http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/library/index_styleguide.html

Their advice on possessives is:

    Use the normal possessive ending 's after singular words or names that
    end in s: boss's, caucus's, Delors's, St James's, Jones's, Shanks's.
    Use it after plurals that do not end in s: children's, Frenchmen's,
    media's.

    Use the ending s' on plurals that end in s---Danes', bosses',
    Joneses'---including plural names that take a singular verb, eg,
    Reuters', Barclays', Stewarts & Lloyds', Salomon Brothers'.

    Although singular in other respects, the United States, the United
    Nations, the Philippines, etc, have a plural possessive apostrophe:
    eg, Who will be the United States' next president?

Strunk & White is also a good, pocket-sized resource, but so far as I know
there is no up-to-date edition on-line.

Greg