[Python-Dev] Whither cursesmodule?

Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:59:31 -0600 (CST)

    Guido> I vote for #3 -- I have zero interest in curses, and it is
    Guido> probably better off having its own website, Vaults of Parnassus
    Guido> entry, etc., than being in the core and utterly unmaintained.

    Guido> Note that we have a similar situation with the BSDDB module: the
    Guido> distribution contains a wrapper for BSDDB 1.85, while someone
    Guido> else maintains a wrapper for Sleepycat's BSDDB 3.x.

Which suggests the general question:  What modules in the core distribution
don't seem to have a maintainer?  I guess by default that's Guido or one of
the other CNRI folks, but knowing what modules are sort of flapping in the
breeze might stimulate some of us to volunteer to shepherd them.

Soundex comes to mind.  I know Guido doesn't want to continue supporting
soundex.c.  On the plane from Spokane to SFO today I merged a couple
different Python versions I received from Tim & Fred ages ago.  If Tim, Fred
and I converge on a Python version, what happens?

    1. supplant the C version with the Python version

    2. discard the C version and me make it available on my web site (sounds
       like Andrew's option 3)

    3. status quo (perhaps Guido's had a change of heart about soundex.c?)

With distutils firming up I think we're getting a lot closer to easily
supporting many modules outside the core distribution.  If we get carried
away we can simply change Python's motto to be "weak batteries included" ;-)

Skip