[Python-Dev] Re: Python-checkins digest, Vol 1 #370 - 8 msgs

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:19:06 -0500

> MAL:
> > Hmm, I'd say it doesn't hurt leaving .append() as it is until
> > 2.0.

/F:
> fwiw, I definitely agree.  I've spotted too many
> places where this change cause a program to
> silently misbehave, rather than blow up (PIL's
> JPEG plugin is just one example...).

Sigh...

This smells of a too-inclusive except clause...  Otherwise the program
should have raised a clear exception.  I suggest to fix it rather than
whine...

Am I responsible for everybody else's bad coding style?

If it's not in the docs, where does everybody get the idea that this
is legal?  (The few cases in the std library are unlikely to be the
only source; they were in pretty obscure places.)