[Python-Dev] Python -t

Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:09:58 -0600 (CST)

    Paul> I see it as a series of steps. ....  so everyone comes around to
    Paul> our way of thinking (other than Skip).

I resemble that remark...

Actually, I suspect that many people are in the same boat I'm in.  I rarely
need to move code I write off of Unix systems.  I had to execute "python
--help" yesterday to learn what -t means.  Modules that I made public ages
ago with no consideration of the tab devil have elicited nary a peep about
indentation problems from anyone.  (Of course, maybe nobody uses them and
I'm simply deluding myself thinking they might be of interest to
someone... ;-)

Still, if all tabs or all spaces is the way to go and we can be reasonably
sure that most/all people will have an indentation-friendly editor at their
disposal, then perhaps after a period of time -t should be the default.

tab-devil-be-gone-ly y'rs,

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
"Languages that change by catering to the tastes of non-users tend not to do
so well." - Doug Landauer