[Python-Dev] Python -t

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 21:29:40 -0800

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Paul Prescod]
> > What are the chances of making python -t the default in Python 1.6?
>
> My guess is slim.  Guido explictly chose not to make it the default when he
> introduced it, and I doubt it would be possible to dream up an argument he
> hasn't heard before <0.5 wink>.

I see it as a series of steps. First someone suggests tab mixing is a
bad idea. Then msot people come to agree. Then we add a flag for those
people to enforce the rule. The flag acts as a powerful rhetorical
rebuke against those that would transgress, so everyone comes around to
our way of thinking (other than Skip). Then we declare the old behavior
sin and charge a fee (an extra flag) for those that would behave in such
and unnatural way.

> > It isn't pythonic to silently allow people to do something that
> > almost everyone agrees is wrong.
>
> FWIW, I agree.  That and 3 bucks will get you a doughnut <wink>.

No, basking in your agreement is worth at least $4.00. Maybe even 4
euros.
"The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made possible the modern world."
        - from "Advent of the Algorithm" David Berlinski
	http://www.opengroup.com/mabooks/015/0151003386.shtml