[Python-Dev] re: syntax - "Aren't tuples redundant?"

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 11:42:25 -0500

Gordon McMillan <gmcm@hypernet.com>:
> (What astounds me is the number of functional programmers
> who are sure that Python is modeled after a functional
> language.)

Speaking as a functional programmer, it's always been quite clear to me
that Python was *not* modeled after a functional language.  OTOH, it resembles
one sometimes because here are certain functional notions that *must*
be covered by any language with a sufficiently broad expressive range -- and
Guido was certainly trying for broad expressive range.
--

"A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny
gun ownership to the bourgeoisie."