[Python-Dev] stack check on Unix: any suggestions?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:20:45 +0200

I'm confused now: how is this counting-stack-limit different from the maximum
recursion depth we already have?

The whole point of PyOS_StackCheck is to do an _actual_ check of whether
there's space left for the stack so we can hopefully have an orderly cleanup
before we hit the hard limit.

If computing it is too difficult because getrlimit isn't available or doesn't
do what we want we should probe it, as the windows code does or my example
code posted yesterday does. Note that the testing only has to be done every
*first* time the stack goes past a certain boundary: the probing can remember
the deepest currently known valid stack location, and everything that is
shallower is okay from that point on (making PyOS_StackCheck a subroutine call
and a compare in the normal case).