[Python-Dev] Pending patches for 2.0

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 00:22:05 +0200

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 05:07:35PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Thomas Wouters writes:
>  > much as possible before then (they mostly need just documentation anyway)
>                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   Don't underestimate that requirement!

I'm not, especially since the things that need documentation (if they are in
principle acceptable to Guido) are range literals (tutorials and existing
code examples), 'import as' (ref, tut), augmented assignment (ref, tut, lib,
api, ext, existing examples), the getslice->getitem change (tut, lib, all
other references to getslice/extended slices and existing example code) and
possibly the 'indexing for' patch (ref, tut, a large selection of existing
example code.)

Oh, and I forgot, some patches would benefit from more library changes, too,
like augmented assignment and getslice-to-getitem. That can always be done
after the patches are in, by other people (if they can't, the patch
shouldn't go in in the first place!)

I guess I'll be doing one large, intimate pass over all documentation, do
everything at once, and later split it up. I also think I'm going to post
them seperately, to allow for easier proofreading. I also think I'm in need
of some sleep, and will think about this more tomorrow, after I get
LaTeX2HTML working on my laptop, so I can at least review my own changes ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>