[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] [Patch #101175] Fix slight bug in the Ref manual docs on listcomprehensions

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 01:36:24 -0400

Clarification:

[Tim]
>>> Catching likely errors is a benefit for the user.

[Greg Ewing]
>> What evidence is there that this particular "likely error" is ..

[Tim]
> Nobody said it was likely. ...

Ha!  I did!  But not in Greg's sense.  It was originally in the sense of "if
we see it, it's almost certainly an error on the part of the user", not that
"it's likely we'll see this".  This is in the same sense that Python
considers

    x = float(i,,)
or
    x = for i [1,2,3]

to be likely errors -- you don't see 'em often, but they're most likely
errors on the part of the user when you do.

back-to-the-more-mundane-confusions-ly y'rs  - tim