[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Doc/lib libsocket.tex,1.46,1.47

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:25:33 -0400

Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 04:46:15PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>
> >     GS> Note that Windows already has a socket.py module (under
> >     GS> plat-win or somesuch). You will want to integrate that
> >     with GS> any new socket.py that you implement.
>
> BeOS also has its own socket.py wrapper, to provide some
> functions BeOS itself is missing (dup, makefile, fromfd, ...) I'm
> not sure if that's still necessary, though, perhaps BeOS decided
> to implement those functions in a later version ?

Sounds very close to what Windows left out. As for *nixen,
there are some differences between BSD and SysV sockets,
but they're really, really arcane.

- Gordon