[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Doc/lib libsocket.tex,1.46,1.47

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 23:04:11 +0200

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 04:46:15PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     GS> Note that Windows already has a socket.py module (under
>     GS> plat-win or somesuch). You will want to integrate that with
>     GS> any new socket.py that you implement.

BeOS also has its own socket.py wrapper, to provide some functions BeOS
itself is missing (dup, makefile, fromfd, ...) I'm not sure if that's still
necessary, though, perhaps BeOS decided to implement those functions in a
later version ?

> Should we have separate plat-*/socket.py files or does it make more
> sense to try to integrate them into one shared socket.py?  From quick
> glance it certainly looks like there's Windows specific stuff in
> plat-win/socket.py (big surprise, huh?)

And don't forget the BeOS stuff ;P This is the biggest reason I didn't do it
myself: it takes some effort and a lot of grokking to fix this up properly,
without spreading socket.py out in every plat-dir. Perhaps it needs to be
split up like the os module ?

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>