[Python-Dev] Feature freeze!

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 23:52:47 +0200

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 11:08:44PM +0200, Vladimir Marangozov wrote:

> PPS: is the pep-0200.html referenced above up to date? For instance,
> I see it mentions SET_LINENO pointing to old references, while a newer
> postponed patch is at SourceForge.

I asked similar questions about PEP 200, in particular on which new features
were considered for 2.0 and what their status is (PEP 200 doesn't mention
augmented assignment, which as far as I know has been on Guido's "2.0" list
since 2.0 and 1.6 became different releases.) I apparently caught Jeremy
just before he left for his holiday, and directed me towards Guido regarding
those questions, and Guido has apparently been too busy (or he missed that
email as well as some python-dev email.)

All my PEPs are in, though, unless I should write a PEP on 'import as',
which I really think should go in 2.0. I'd be suprised if 'import as' needs
a PEP, since the worst vote on 'import as' was Eric's '+0', and there seems
little concern wrt. syntax or implementation. It's more of a fix for
overlooked syntax than it is a new feature<0.6 wink>.

I just assumed the PyLabs team (or at least 4/5th of it) were too busy with
getting 1.6 done and finished to be concerned with non-pressing 2.0 issues,
and didn't want to press them on these issues until 1.6 is truely finished.
Pity 1.6-beta-cycle and 2.0-feature-freeze overlap :P

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>