[Python-Dev] Stackless Python - Pros and Cons

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:28:01 -0400

Vladimir Marangozov wrote:
> Gordon McMillan wrote:
> >
> > But I can't figure out what the h*ll is being PEPed.
>
> > ceval.c and grammar changes (or Christian can make it so), it
> > seems to me the PEPable issue is whether the value this can add
> > is worth the price of a less linear implementation.
>
> There's an essay + paper available, slides and an implementation.

Of which the most up to date is the implementation. The
slides / docs describe an earlier, more complex scheme.

> What's the problem about formalizing this in a PEP and addressing
> the controversial issues + explaining how they are dealt with?

That's sort of what I was asking. As far as I can tell, what's
controversial is "continuations". That's not in scope. I would
like to know what controversial issues there are that *are* in
scope.

> I mean, if you're a convinced long-time Stackless user and
> everything is obvious for you, this PEP should try to convince
> the rest of us -- so write it down and ask no more <wink>.

That's exactly wrong. If that were the case, I would be forced
to vote -1 on any addition / enhancement to Python that I
personally didn't plan on using.

- Gordon