[Python-Dev] Access to the Bug Database

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 05:27:59 -0400

[Moshe Zadka]
> I think I need access to the bug database

Indeed, you had no access to the SF bug database at all.  Neither did a
bunch of others.  I have a theory about that:  I mentioned several weeks ago
that IE5 simply could not display the Member Permissions admin page
correctly, after it reached a certain size.  I downloaded a stinking
Netscape then, and that worked fine until it reached *another*, larger size,
at which point the display of some number of the bottom-most entries (like
where moshez lives) gets totally screwed up *sometimes*.  My *suspicion* is
that if an admin changes a permission while either IE5 or NS is in this
screwed-up state, it wreaks havoc with the permissions of the members whose
display lines are screwed up.  It's a weak suspicion <wink>, but a real one:
I've only seen NS screw up some contiguous number of the bottom-most lines,
I expect all the admins are using NS, and it was all and only a contiguous
block of developers at the bottom of the page who had their Bug Manager
permissions set to None (along with other damaged values) when I brought up
the page.

So, admins, look out for that!

Anyway, I just went thru and gave every developer admin privileges on the SF
Bug Manager.  Recall that it will probably take about 6 hours to take
effect, though.

> -- but in the meantime, anyone who wants to mark 110612 as
> closed is welcome to.

No, they're not:  nobody who knows *why* the bug is being closed should even
think about closing it.  It's still open.

you're-welcome<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim